Monday, August 29, 2011

two for fashion: german fashion/music art blog magazine: thank you for featuring my closet





I had the pleasure to have photographer and friend Julia Wilczok over into my studio at my apartment in Brooklyn. We had met recently at a music video shoot for Kishi Bashi of which I was styling. It was super fun, and so amazing to meet such talented and interesting artists/photographers/musicians, one of which is Julia!


I had no idea she works for a german fashion blog, but once she mentioned she'd like to visit the studio and snap some pics, I couldn't deny that, especially because I had just went through my closet and realized I've been collecting such an extensive archive. As I was going through all my clothing I truly couldn't believe how many precious and special things I own and how I should share them for inspiration and to give them a life of their own, even though I try my best to wear them!


We spent three hours going through my closet and hanging out in the studio, it was super fun! She took pics of my studio and my bedroom and I tried on some of my own hand-made pieces, in combination to my most favorite vintage and talked a bit also about other influences on my personal style. I will post them here, since the blog article is only in german!



1. How do you organize your closet?


I like to keep a good contrast in the way I arrange my closet, so I notice my favorite pieces, and can see everything. That way, I enjoy my clothing more and I encourage myself to not wear the same things everyday. However, I always go through phases of a favorite outfit and wear it almost everyday for a week, and can't help to always gravitate to certain pieces! (usually dark and something I made!)


2. What are the three pieces you find yourself wearing constantly?


-black silk charmeuse draped top i actually made..it was a dress but i cut it to be a cropped boxy draped top, i love to wear it with my long skirts
- a ton of jewelry, my long pendants, one particular piece is an artifact that ancient egyptian women used to apply black kohl makeup to their eyes, it is worn on a string as a necklace
-grey-taupish nail polish - i like this color, it reminds me of the muted vintage colors of a vintage book illustration or movie




3. Do you remember the moment when you knew that you wanted to become a designer?

Well, I've always collected and appreciate beautiful art, antiques, and jewelry, and clothing that is very looks easy and flow-y and at the same time elegant and made of a fabric that is unique or really soft and silky and theres a special element to it. I went to RISD as a freshman in 2001, and decided to major in apparel since it involves textiles, illustration, evoking a mood through color and texture, and also working 3-dimensional, sculpting and draping the fabric.









4. Where do you find inspiration for the clothes you make?


my dreams, the feeling and mood of my dreams... then i collect materials and colors... paint and play and experiment with draping the shapes and feeling that evokes that similar feeling.
everything i create also is a reflection of my imagination and dreams and curiosity in different cultures/ history especially ancient rome, middle east, im interested also in the southwest american culture/ symbols





5. Who is your all time favorite style icon?


well i absolutely love norma kamali right now... she's 66 and looks amazing and super chic. but as my favorite style icon, i do love margherita missoni.



6. What is your favorite recent purchase?
my woven boho bag, I wear it everyday, everywhere. It has a south american pattern and goes with everything I wear. from the nyc store "a lil wicked", at the manhattan vintage show


7. What trend are you most hoping will vanish this summer?


well high waist pants are amazing! but! Some people I think need to wear it right with the right top/ or the right cut to their body! Its better to flatter your figure than to follow a trend. If high waist pants are the right cut for your shape, then that is so hot and really stunning!


8. How do you want to dress in fall?


an earthier femme fatale .

more womanly French, 50's moviestar chic bardot styling, makeup/hair/super feminine, meets the bohemian natural textures. Also also for jewelry, pairing something very organic shapes with something geometric side by side.





9. What about a secret store you love that you're willing to share?



Love, adorned. is my favorite store. There are handmade wallets and scarves, dreamcatchers, the most amazing handmade jewelry, as well as vintage and antique. Also handmade soaps and organic candles, the whole atmosphere is beautiful and great energy from the selection of artists/designers and vintage. i.e. they sell moroccan wedding blankets.






10. whats the most treasured piece in your closet?
I love my poncho! My boyfriend Zac picked it out for me and I actually cut the center front and tacked and folded the front to the center back. I created sleeves in a way and its super fun to wear out!
also, my white leather / silver metal snake belt it belonged to my aunt in the 70's and I find it so special. also my long woven native american coat that my mom gave to me from her own amazing collection.



thank you julia for hanging out and featuring me on two for fashion. You've inspired me to start a new blog where I can also share my recent work, and updates as well posting about the art and music of my talented friends! so much love. xoxoxo








2 comments: